Do you own a cave and aren't sure what to do with it? We can help!
People have finally realized the important cultural and scientific value of caves.
Many caves on the islands house archeologic sites. They provide a habitat for very rare and
endangered species. Some scientists are even looking at cave minerals as a source for cancer cures! Caves also affect you
personally. Caves are a conduit for ground water, which means that they can transport pollutants from miles away. Some
landowners have been surprised by land collapse when they went to buldoze their property. Many landowners are stymied by their caves, and see them
as a major liability. Other land owners want to be good stewards of their cave, but aren't sure how to take care of it.
The Cave Conservancy of Hawai'i has several solutions to your cave "problem":
- Management Plan - The CCH can survey your cave, and tell you where it is - and more
importantly, where it isn't! Our scientists and cave experts can evaluate your cave and create a cave
management plan. This will let you know what your resources are, and will give you suggestions on how to take care of them.
- Lease - The CCH can lease your cave from you, take over the management of your cave, and write your name into our liability insurance policy. You maintain ownwership.
- Conservation Easement - A conservation easement is a binding legal agreement between the land owner
and the conservancy. It permanently restricts the use of the land in order to promote conservation. In exchange, the landowner can
gain a tax advantage. No public access is required, and the owner can continue to own the land, pass it on to heirs, or sell it. The conservation restrictions stay with the property. Each easement is different, and is specifically tailored to the property. The Land Trust Alliance has a nice web site explaining conservation easements
- Purchase - The Cave Conservancy of Hawai'i also purchases significant cave properties. Please look at our selection criteria
on our cave preserve page.
- Donation - The Cave Conservancy of Hawai'i is a
501(c)-3 tax exempt organization. Property donations can provide you with a significant tax savings.
Do any of these options look good to you? Then please contact us!